• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • We're introducing new features and a new look to make the forums easier to use and more valuable to you. See what's new and let us know what you think!

Modifier 59 vs Modifier 91 for Laboratory

leahrey

New
Best answers
I would like to clarify on how and when to use these two modifiers, modifier 59 & modifier 91.

Can someone please advise if mod -59 or -91 should be use on CPT 82784 - Gammaglobulin (immunoglobulin); if we have results for IgA, IgG & IgM, is this to bill with modifier 59 or 91? Does this CPT calls for "Distinct Procedural Service?"

How about CPT 83883 x2 - Nephelometry, each analyte, does this call for mod -59 or -91?

88271 x2 - Molecular cytogenetics; DNA probe, each; Mod -59 or -91?

How about for allergy testing, 86003 (Allergen specific IgE)
86003 - Egg
86003 - Milk
86003 - Nut
Is this mod -59 or 91? The results gives a description or different results.

How about if a lab panel is performed and one of the test within the panel is repeated, is this a modifier -91? If done on the same day? How about if a different physician order the test but the same facility and on the same day?
Ex:
80048 - Basic Metabolic Panel
82565 - Creatinine

Please advise.

Last edited:

inc1961

Networker
Best answers
I am hoping to bump this question up in the forum.
I have similar questions. We have been advised to use Modifier -91 for different anylates of the same test but this is being denied.

Since it is not a repeat of a previous test, but in fact a new test, is Mod-59 more appropriate?

Thank you
Sharon