Wiki NAMAS , CPMA self assessment question rationale for a PT code

priceless

Networker
Best answers
Hi
I took a self assessment test on Namas website and I am stumped by one of their questions. They do not provide a rationale with the answer. I was hoping you could help me.
Question:
Audit the following physical therapy services: Ms. Jones returns for her bi-weekly session for chronic low back pain. We are now in week 2 of her therapy and she is progressing nicely. Today's therapy:
Manual Therapy X 22 minutes
Electric Stimulation X 9 minutes
Ice Pack X 17 minutes
Ms. Jones should return next week for her next therapy appointment. Shannon Robinson, PT Spencer White, PTA The codes and units billed are: -97140 GP X 2 units -97032 GP X 1 unit -97010 GP X 2 units Answer the following: Choose all of the following statements that are true I. All CPT Codes are correctly billed II. The modifier used is inappropriate for services performed by a physical therapist III. The ice pack services do not represent 2 units IV. Manual therapy time is not enough to support 2 units
A. I,II AND IV
B.III AND IV
C.I AND III
D.I,II,III AND IV

The correct answer is C.
My questions 1) why is manual therapy code billed twice? 2) If they added all the times together for 3 units total, they should not be counting the 17 minutes because it is not a time based code?

hi answer is c and it is correct. obviously ice pack does not count 2 unit. codes are correct only units are not. even manual therapy should be one unit only, to charge 2 unit, it should have been 23 minutes.