need cpt code for appl of wound V.A.C.?

michellelgrd

Networker
Best answers
the wound V.A.C.s were applied to both the volar and dorsal plane with two seperate wound V.A.C.s for security for both wounds to maintain control.
the code i came up with is 97605 is this right?
can i bill for this? the more i research it seems like this is not a payable code

any help greatly appreciated!!

Last edited:
my software system is not recognizing this code do u have any idea what the medicare fee for this code is? i tried to pull it up on the cms website but it is not recognizing it either

97605 has and RVU of 0.96 for non-facility and 0.72 for facility coding.
So they don't pay a lot for this but that is the correct code for wound vac.
You have to do the calculations for your state. But roughly they should pay about $35.00.

wound vac reinsertion

Can anyone tell me if I would be coding this correct in this scenario?
Pt already has a wound vac applied (97605), days later, the doctor removes the old wound vac sponge and replaced with a new vac sponge, and a new dressing applied and the sponge was placed on suction.

Can I code for this date 97605 again or is this change of the vac sponge considered dressing change nd therefore I should use 15852 instead. I know there are three parts to the vac wound system. The vac sponge, cannester to drain the fluid for healing and the vac suction, in my case, thedoctor only change the sponge. I i should only use 15852 instead, I wonder if there is a scenario that i can code 97605 mutlitple times.

Please let me know your experience. Thanks.

wound vac

Can anyone tell me if I would be coding this correct in this scenario?
Pt already has a wound vac applied (97605), days later, the doctor removes the old wound vac sponge and replaced with a new vac sponge, and a new dressing applied and the sponge was placed on suction.

Can I code for this date 97605 again or is this change of the vac sponge considered dressing change nd therefore I should use 15852 instead. I know there are three parts to the vac wound system. The vac sponge, cannester to drain the fluid for healing and the vac suction, in my case, thedoctor only change the sponge. I i should only use 15852 instead, I wonder if there is a scenario that i can code 97605 mutlitple times.

Please let me know your experience. Thanks.

We do code the Vac when they come in for dressing change. Also, if they have two vac's you should be able to charge this with a 59 modifier on the second vac. I would not use the 15852 unless you were using anesthesia to change these-not local, topical etc. There are other posts on this site concerning the use of wound vac. I would use the search feature at the top of the page and see what else you can find. Lots of good info on here.

I just went around and around on this very subject on two different forums. The opinions really vary. My confusion was the statement in CPT..."Provider is required to have direct (one-on-one) patient contact." I took that to mean that 97597-97606 required provider contact. Then...I discovered the CPT Assistant article from 2005 stating active wound care mgmt codes were reserved for NPP's. I have to be honest, that confused me. So...I sent out my question and received yes and no answers. My provider did provide the article from KCI (manufacturer) indicating that these were appropriate for providers. I also received the article from the AAOS...

Q: We just learned that we can report the application of a wound vacuum dressing. What codes do we use?

A: Negative-pressure wound therapy is reportable when the documentation supports the service. In 2007, the AAOS updated the Global Service Data for Orthopaedic Surgery book to classify this as an “excluded service” for all musculoskeletal and integumentary codes. The following verbiage is in the “Intraoperative services not included in the global surgical package” section of Global Service Data:“2. complicated wound closure ( eg, application of wound vacuum device to open wound) or closure requiring local or distant flap coverage and/or wound vacuum device to open wound) or closure requiring local or distant flap coverage and/or skin graft, when appropriate (eg, 13160, 14000-14350, 15000-15400, 15570-15776)”

CPT codes 97605 (Negative pressure wound therapy (eg, vacuum assisted drainage collection), including topical application(s), wound assessment, and instruction(s) for ongoing care, per session; total wound(s) surface area less than or equal to 50 square centimeters) and 97606 (Negative pressure wound therapy (eg, vacuum assisted drainage collection), including topical application(s), wound assessment, and instruction(s) for ongoing care, per session; total wound(s) surface area greater than 50 square centimeters) describe the services; it may be necessary to append modifier 59 to indicate a distinct procedure if other services are reported at the same session.

So then...I check with my Medicare carrier and they do allow this service with particular ICD-9 codes. They do not state the provider can't provide this service but it doesn't necessarily state they can. So between CPT, the AAOS article, the KCI article and Medicare not really suggesting one way or the other...our providers bill for these...until further notice....