• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below..
  • Important Note: We will be performing a scheduled maintenance on 30th Nov, 2021. The site will be offline from 8:30PM (MT) till 10:30 PM MT. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Need E-code for Surgical wound infection

Orthocoderpgu

True Blue
Best answers
Patient has shoulder surgery. The surgical incision becomes infected and sees our doc (not the surgeon). Would the appropriate E code for this situation be E878.8? Need a second opinion. Thanks.

tennislaurie

Best answers
What diagnosis codes are you using and why would this encounter need an E code? The patient should be following up with the surgeon who did the procedure since he/she is probably in a global period of the surgery but of course I don't know dates of procedure, etc.

junebug1969

Networker
Best answers
Are you using 998.59 as the diagnosis? I don't really think you need an E code in this situation. Those codes are really for some unusual situations and don't seem to be applicable for something as basic as a post-op infection. However, I'm not positive on this one!