• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below..
  • Important Note: We will be performing a scheduled maintenance on 1st November 2020. The site will be offline from 7:30PM (MT) till midnight. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Need help coding an "exposure" for back surgery

Nhennigan

New
Best answers
I am billing for the general surgeon, who is doing a retroperitoneal exposure for the orthopedic surgeon and then the general surgeon stays and assists during the entire surgery. Can I bill the exposure with 49010-62 and then the surgical CPT codes with -80? Would that be correct? Thanks.

Best answers
CO-Surgeons

You would NOT code the exposure separately.

BOTH surgeons will be using the code for the back surgery (I'm assuming arthrodesis of some kind) with a -62 modifier (co-surgeon). Each surgeon will dictate his/her own operative note indicating what s/he actually did.

If the general surgeon is truly staying to assist for all the rest, s/he might also be coding the spinal instrumentation codes with the -62 modifier. (Our general surgeons will open and close for the orthopaedic or neuro surgeon performing the arthrodesis and instrumentation; but the general surgeon doesn't stay to assist with everything, so we only code the arthrodesis for the general surgeon.)

Be sure to check to see if the -62 modifier is allowed on all the codes. You'll need to coordinate with the other surgeon's coding staff to ensure that the same exact codes are used by each surgeon.

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CPC-E/M