• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below..
  • Important Note: We will be performing a scheduled maintenance on 1st November 2020. The site will be offline from 7:30PM (MT) till midnight. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

need help with iv hyration codes ASAP

geminitc81

Networker
Best answers
I Dont Use The Hydration Codes Very Offen And When Like Any Advice On How To Code The Following:

2 Hours Iv Hydration,250cc Normal Saline Per Hour,with Zofran Push.

Thanks In Advance
Arwa

mkmgt001

Networker
Best answers
I have the SAME question 5+ years later!!

The patient presented with severe emesis. The records indicate normal saline solution (NSS) 2 liters was given IV. IV start time: 10:40 & end time: 12:40. Rx Zofran was given IV at 10:50. There is only a start time for the Zofran. No end time.

I'm thinking the following codes/units should be reported:
CPT 96374 (Initial service for IV push of Zofran)
CPT 96361 x 2 units (Subsequent hydration for 2hrs).

I'd appreciate any feedback on this. Coding IV hydration/infusions is confusing!

lizardw5

Contributor
Best answers
Hello,
You may want to add modifier -59 to the hydration code as it is a separate service and some payers require it.

Elizabeth

mkmgt001

Networker
Best answers
Thank you Elizabeth. I checked CCI & mod-59 shouldn't be required, but I know what you mean about some payers requiring it.

Since the IV ran for 2 hours, it's appropriate to report 2 units with CPT 96361, correct? Any input on that?

atheri992

Contributor
Best answers
Hydration reply

96374 X1 (the Zofran is almost always a push so there won't be an end time)
96361 X2 (the push is the initial so the hydration are add-on codes only)

Even though the Zofran came after the hydration, its about the hierarchy of meds no matter what time it was given, so if for example, she got a chemo infusion at 3PM, then chemo would take precedence and that would become your initial, the iv push would be an add on, and your hydration is last as add-ons. No -59 mod is needed. I code regularly for the ED and the outpatient infusion center. Hope this helps!

Last edited:

mkmgt001

Networker
Best answers
Great...thank you atheri992! That's what I was thinking. This visit was was originally billed with 3 codes - 96360, 96374, & 96366, which I felt was completely wrong.