Wiki Nerve block request by surgeon

beachgrl62

Networker
Best answers
One of my anesthesiologists has reached out to find out what documentation HAS to be on the request from the surgeon for post op pain nerve blocks. He states that the doctor usually just says post op pain control block-provider choice. Is there something in writing I can send to them that explains how it needs to be worded? Thank you!

Hello, according to the Correct Coding Initiative manual surgeon needs to document why she/he can't perform the postoperative pain management and that will be based on each case.

From the Chap. 2, emphasis mine

Postoperative pain management services are generally provided by the surgeon who is reimbursed under a global payment policy related to the procedure and shall not be reported by the anesthesia practitioner unless separate, medically necessary services are required that cannot be rendered by the surgeon. The surgeon is responsible to document in the medical record the reason care is being referred to the anesthesia practitioner.

Hello, according to the Correct Coding Initiative manual surgeon needs to document why she/he can't perform the postoperative pain management and that will be based on each case.

From the Chap. 2, emphasis mine
Thank you. In most cases our anesthesia providers are providing the post operative pain management blocks at the request of the surgeon. I guess they will need to add the WHY to the orders too.