• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • We're introducing new features and a new look to make the forums easier to use and more valuable to you. See what's new and let us know what you think!

Neurosurgeon radiation treatment planning with a radiation oncologist physcian.

Best answers
Hi All,

I am new to auditing and have a question. I appreciate any feed back I can get as well as reference materials (if possible).
I have a neurosurgeon who at times will resect a spinal metastatic tumor then partner up with the radiation oncologist to obtain a radiation treatment plan for the patient. He insists on billing 63620. However, my understanding is, if he has already performed the surgical resection the planning is already included in this code. Can this code be billed in this case?
Second scenario is if he does not perform a surgical resection, however, is part of the radiation planning, can he bill this code in this scenario. Again, I am very appreciative and grateful for any assistance/advice.

Thank you
Deborah Torres CPC, CPMA