Wiki Neurosurgery - I'm a little confused

ckirkp1

Networker
Best answers
I'm a little confused if an anterior cervial discectomy and an interbody fusion at the same level was done during the same session I should ONLY report 22551 or should I bill the 63075 and 22551 together. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Agree..

New codes

Two new codes—22551 and 22552—continue the trend of moving away from component coding in spine surgery to the use of a more comprehensive code. Based on the frequency of reporting of anterior cervical discectomy/decompression procedures with an anterior interbody fusion procedure, the following new code and an add-on code were introduced for the cervical spine when both procedures are performed at the same site, same setting:

22551—Arthrodesis, anterior interbody, including disk space preparation, discectomy, osteophytectomy and decompression of spinal cord and/or nerve roots; cervical below C2
+22552— Arthrodesis, anterior interbody, including disk space preparation, discectomy, osteophytectomy and decompression of spinal cord and/or nerve roots; cervical below C2, each additional interspace (List separately in addition to code for separate procedure)

The guideline instructions for CPT codes 63075 and 22554 instruct the surgeon to not report the two codes together when both procedures are performed at the same site and the same level during the same session.

http://www.aaos.org/news/aaosnow/feb11/managing1.asp