Wiki New Job

Eddie

Best answers
I finally started working in the medical field after my hard work in school and dealing with the bad ecomony. I am workling for a small clinic in Yuma, AZ coding superbills and entering them into the NextGen software program. I finally feel that it was all worth it. If you are still searching for that one job in coding, just be patient and when it is your time you'll know.

One question I have is this. Some of the superbills I get from doctors do not have the diagnosis numbered and it confuses me in knowing which one to enter first. I do not have acccess to the medical record notes so I am not able to see the medical record. Any ideas?

EP/Yuma

That's difficult when you don't know the Chief Complaint or access to the chart/doctor.

Look through the most current ICD-9 Coding Guidelines and it can explain when a sign or symptom is used vs. a more definitive diagnosis or a final diagnosis. It's about 112 pages and it has great information on diagnosis coding.

You should educate that office to let them know that either having the doctor's prioritize their diagnoses before you get the charges or you need to have access to the record to ensure approrpiate ICD-9 code choice is made.

Good Luck, Eddie!