Wiki New patient vs follow up c/ CNP thrown in

presh180

Best answers
Hi everyone! I work for a Neurology Practice with one Physician and a CNP. I understand the 3 year "face to face" rule to distinguish between a new patient vs follow up, however in the E/M guidelines it states "physician in the same practice/specialty". It does not state any other term besides "physician".

So, my question is: If John Doe was seen by our Nurse Practitioner initially and then 2 years later comes back for an unrelated problem and sees the Physician, can we code this as a NP visit?

I think we have to code as a follow up visit since she is in the same Practice/Specialty, but am doubting myself since the CPT guidelines only use the word "Physician".

Any and all help appreciated! Thanks!

That was my thinking too, but the CPT guidelines are so specific with the word "Physician" that you start to doubt yourself!

Soooo it would be easier to understand also if the guidelines used the word "Practioner" instead of Physician, right? ;-)

CMS has language in various references that includes "non-physician providers." The cynic in me wants to say the AMA won't give credit to anyone who isn't a doctor! :eek: