• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below..
  • Important Note: We will be performing a scheduled maintenance on 1st November 2020. The site will be offline from 7:30PM (MT) till midnight. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

New Patient

judicline

Best answers
We submitted a claim to Medicare for a new patient visit and it was denied. This claim was for Pain Management we also are Anesthesiologist practice under the same tax ID #. The patient was given anesthesia for a surgical procedure earlier in the month. The dx for the office visit was unrelated to the anesthesia.
When I read the new patient requirements I agree with the denial others in my office say they should of paid it.

Please advise.

Best answers
Here is a good article on this
http://www.aafp.org/fpm/20030900/33unde.html

Although groups with multiple practice sites may operate independently, with each caring for its own patient population and maintaining its own medical records, they are considered a single group if they have the same tax identification number.

In a single-specialty practice, the patient's encounter should be reported with a code in a new patient category only if no physician or other provider who reports services using CPT codes in that group has seen the patient within the last three years.​