Wiki New to Cardiology

amneske

Guru
Best answers
Hello,
I recently got hired as a new coder in the Heart and Vascular department. I would be coding for inpatient. This will be my first coding job. I recently graduated from school with a coding degree and passed my CPC exam. From a cardiology coders point of view what would be the most important things for me to do to prepare myself? I know it will be a learning experience, but I also want to be as prepared as possible. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank You!

Hi there.
I was in Interventional Radiology right out of coding school. Did that for 5 years and now I'm in Cardiology. I would say what has helped me the most is having an Interventional Cardiology reference book from Dr. ZHealth. It is, in my opinion, the best coding reference for these specialties and it's very easy to follow. As far as what to get prepared in, there will be lots of echos (93306, 93308, 93312, etc), stress test (93015, 93016, 93018, 78452, etc) and heart caths (93452-93461) but what was difficult for me at first was the pacemaker/defib implants. Read up on your pacemaker/defib guidelines because they can be tricky. Again, Dr. Z really helped...it has been a lifesaver for me. zhealthpublishing.com

Good luck,
Kim Floyd, CPC

Yes, Dr. Z is a wonderful coding reference. I that one, as well as, The CPT Reference Guide for Cardiovascular Coding. It's put out by the AMA and the American College of Cardiology Foundation. If you can find a cardiologist who is a member they will have to order it for you, but it is a really good tool too. Good luck!