Newbie here!

Community Wiki

This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on AAPC for 30 days and have made 5 posts. Learn More
J
Hi I am Jasmin,
I have purchased CPC online exam. In that Blackboard, after exam scheduling instructions there are two exams as part one and part two, whether they are main exams or review exams?

carlystur

Guru
Best answers
Welcome! We're glad to have you! :D

Just FYI, it could be hard to find a job as a CPC if you are not already employed in a healthcare setting. So, what I suggest is that you find a place where you can volunteer in a healthcare setting - either a hospital or clinic of some kind - doing anything so you can get some experience there and maybe they'll have a coder you can watch and ask questions to. Either that or get any kind of entry-level job in any healthcare place you can find - whether it's a scheduler or patient accounts or something else. It will really help you get hired as a coder.

asprenk

New
Best answers
Hello,

My name is Assunta. I am also a new member of AAPC. I took my CPC exam this past November and I passed it. I am also very excited to have taken this decision to go back to the healthcare field. I have realized it is difficult to find a job with no coding experiences, therefore I am looking to find volunteer work and go from there. :)

Best answers
Hello, I finished my Coding/ Billing Certification in 2020 ,but I plan to take test in 2022 and I would like to know any tips that will get me prepared for the exam and pointers. Thanks

lnwilson

New
Best answers
Hello:

My name is Lakisha and I am a new member as well. I just took my CPC exam on 12/17 and passed. I’m very excited about that but I see that it’s not easy to get a coding job. I would like to at least get a part time job for now (I’m trying to buy a house this coming year so adding income looks better than changing jobs completely). That would also help me ensure that a full time coding job could be sustainable with a mortgage. I’m hoping to get Practicode to start working to get the A removed. Any advice would be extremely helpful. Thanks in advance.

bgrasson

Networker
Best answers
Hello, I finished my Coding/ Billing Certification in 2020 ,but I plan to take test in 2022 and I would like to know any tips that will get me prepared for the exam and pointers. Thanks
Hi there- i would have advised you to take the exam as soon as you finished the course. There are new guidelines out now so you need to read up the on the new material for 2022.

amyjph

Guru
Best answers
Welcome! The best advice has been pointed out above. It is very difficult to obtain a position as a brand new CPC-A or CPC with no experience. Many organizations have great opportunities in scheduling, payment posting, AR, customer service, medical records and patient experience roles. These organizations also want to promote within and retain quality employees. As a past hiring manager I would hire aspiring coders in these type roles and many of them would move into coding positions once they had some experience in other areas of the organization. If you want to work in the provider and/or hospital setting having an understanding of payer rules, claims and the revenue cycle is very important. A great start for a coder is working pre-bill clean up, rejections and denials. Working in direct patient care roles and hands on is also invaluable when moving into a coding, revenue cycle or other administrative position. Volunteering at a hospital is also a great idea. Good luck.

SanWill

New
Best answers
I became certified in 2019. I did a somewhat intern shadow position with one of the optometrist in our town. I was able to go in for like 2 half days a week to shadow the person in charge of submitting the office claims. Then of course the pandemic hit and the office went to only being open partially. I was able to land a position with an organization and did daily check-in for the covid protocol. I was outside, but I was on the payroll. Fast forward some employees left for personal reasons, some were let go. I was bumped up to full time front desk check in. I have had a few different positions since being employed and I can say I have not stopped learning at all. I am to say with the new year I am finally moving into the position of medical coder and billing. I have my employers letter ready to submit to have the A removed. It will take some time for most to get their foot in the door. Some have been successful finding a coding position right after becoming certified. Good luck to all out there and hey the hard part is over. Sitting for the exam. Apply, apply, apply, network, network, network. The job for you is out there.

Best answers
Welcome! The best advice has been pointed out above. It is very difficult to obtain a position as a brand new CPC-A or CPC with no experience. Many organizations have great opportunities in scheduling, payment posting, AR, customer service, medical records and patient experience roles. These organizations also want to promote within and retain quality employees. As a past hiring manager I would hire aspiring coders in these type roles and many of them would move into coding positions once they had some experience in other areas of the organization. If you want to work in the provider and/or hospital setting having an understanding of payer rules, claims and the revenue cycle is very important. A great start for a coder is working pre-bill clean up, rejections and denials. Working in direct patient care roles and hands on is also invaluable when moving into a coding, revenue cycle or other administrative position. Volunteering at a hospital is also a great idea. Good luck.
Thank you for your input

Best answers
Hi there- i would have advised you to take the exam as soon as you finished the course. There are new guidelines out now so you need to read up the on the new material for 2022.
Yes, that was my plan ,but life happens and my kid's kept me busy and did not have to prepare in a timely fashion to take test on last year like my plan.Thanks for your input.