NKDA - How are others counting?

KurtRego

New
Best answers
I would be interested in finding out how fellow coders are currently counting the NKDA? Is this a ROS or counted as a PFSH?

Any input would be appreciated along with the rationale for the choice.

Kurt Rego, CPC
Corporate Compliance

rthames052006

True Blue
Local Chapter Officer
Best answers
I was told at a Medicare seminar by the nurse reviewers that NKDA should be counted under PFSH. What do others do.

roxanne

coder911

Best answers
I generally count this as an element of the ROS. If you look under medicare E/M guidelines it shows "allergic/immunologic" as a system - I perceive this as a general statement that can apply to any allergy reviewed. Allergies (unless otherwise stated) are a current issue for the patient - and can potentially affect the doc's treatment options.

kevbshields

Best answers
CMS has made documentation guidelines for this relatively clear--where I (personally) find dissent is in the interpretation of presenters, auditors and educators.

According to CMS, it may be counted as either Past Med. Hx. or as a ROS (All/Imm), but only one of those. It is pretty standard for auditors/coders to just automatically slam it into PFSH, although it may be needed elsewhere (e.g., ROS). Since the allowance is permitted by CMS, I would say it needs to be counted where it is needed in the document.

If specific FIs have rules outside those of CMS, they should place those in writing. I would also pay heed to what the Medical Reviewers (not Clinical Reviewers) are stating from those FIs; these are the people reviewing your documentation, after all.

Hope this helps.

Best answers
Ros

I, personally, consider NKDA a ROS (allergy). Typically, past history is easy to get anywhere else and it's another point in the provider's favor to use it as a system.

donsqueen

Best answers
NKDA stands for no known DRUG allergies. My outside consultant said that it should be counted as PFSH over ROS for 2 reasons: 1: it is documented (in my clinic) by the MA's not the provider and 2: it is not generally specific to the particular problem the patient is coming in for.

goldejoa

Best answers
I always count it in ROS. In the ED, where I code, I feel it is always pertinent to nature of the presenting problem.

JG

khaspert

Contributor
Best answers
Nkda

This is part of the past medical history.

If a patient is asked about other allergies such as environmental allergies like hay fever, this would be part of the ROS.

rthames052006

True Blue
Local Chapter Officer
Best answers
This is part of the past medical history.

If a patient is asked about other allergies such as environmental allergies like hay fever, this would be part of the ROS.
I agree with you Khaspert... thats what I was taught by the auditors at Medicare.

Roxanne Thames, CPC