• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • We're introducing new features and a new look to make the forums easier to use and more valuable to you. See what's new and let us know what you think!

NP & Attending saw patient in critical care

myirskc

New
Best answers
If a NP was the first to see a patient as critical care on a given day, meets the 30 minutes, and the attending physician sees patient later on the same day and also meets critical care with 30 minutes, Is there a regulation that states we must bill under the 1st person (the NPP) for the critical care to medicare?

Last edited:
Best answers
Our policy

I do not know if there is a Medicare ruling on this. But I do know that our practice policy is that if two providers (same specialty, same practice) see the patient on the same day, all the documentation is considered as ONE E/M visit, and we always bill under the first person who saw the patient.

The only exception is when Provider # 1 sees a patient who is stable earlier in the day; but the patient "crashes" later and Provider # 2 provides critical care. Then we code the E/M for Provider # 1; and critical care for Provider # 2.

Hope that helps.

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC

myirskc

New
Best answers
Thank you, it does help and seems like the easiest way to solve this problem. However we can't spilt/share critical care with the NP and attending and if we bill under the NP we olny get reimbursted 85% with some ins carriers. This is why I was trying so hard to see if anyway heard that we must bill under the 1st person who saw the patient, or can we pick and choose.