Number & Complexity of problems addressed

Worxs43

Networker
Best answers
Good Morning,
How would you look at the following diagnosis codes based on level. Found in office during a conversation some ppl code much higher than I thought for these diagnosis codes when presented without systemic symptoms, moderate. Just worried I may be coding low but at the same time I don't feel that I am.

Contact dermatitis if I see it continues to spread or some drainage: low,
Acute otitis media no fevers, no drainage: low,
Contusion: low
Conjunctivitis: low
Cellulitis: moderate
Anxiety with simple care: moderate
Hemorrhoid: moderate

Let me know when you have the time.

Thank you:confused:

Last edited:

Farrellandrews

Contributor
Best answers
I would love to know too as I code family practice and we get this scenario a lot. I would not go above 99213 because of MDM/RX management.

csperoni

True Blue
Best answers
The CONDITION of the problem, not just the problem itself is key in determining the level.
If all of the problems listed are presenting as stable without systemic systems, I don't see how you could reach moderate unless there are 2 or more problems.
From the AMA guidelines:
Moderate
• 1 or more chronic illnesses with exacerbation, progression, or side effects of treatment; or
• 2 or more stable chronic illnesses; or
• 1 undiagnosed new problem with uncertain prognosis; or
• 1 acute illness with systemic symptoms; or
• 1 acute complicated injury

The problems listed without the status only give part of the picture.

Worxs43

Networker
Best answers
I would love to know too as I code family practice and we get this scenario a lot. I would not go above 99213 because of MDM/RX management.
:) Agree. When the conversation came up my co-worker told me if a patient where to come in for aom with a slight cough no other signs/symptoms and given a prescription 99214/04.
Also she had mention if a patient presents with ringworm not spreading just itching and a prescription given she would code a 99203. Honestly to me I think this would be coded a 99202, just because a prescription is given doesn't mean it would be considered low....

Worxs43

Networker
Best answers
The CONDITION of the problem, not just the problem itself is key in determining the level.
If all of the problems listed are presenting as stable without systemic systems, I don't see how you could reach moderate unless there are 2 or more problems.
From the AMA guidelines:
Moderate
• 1 or more chronic illnesses with exacerbation, progression, or side effects of treatment; or
• 2 or more stable chronic illnesses; or
• 1 undiagnosed new problem with uncertain prognosis; or
• 1 acute illness with systemic symptoms; or
• 1 acute complicated injury

The problems listed without the status only give part of the picture.
Hello Csperoni :)
Thank you for your response. Honestly I was thinking along the same lines that I only see the scenarios as low as there are no other signs/symptoms.
For example co-worker stated that if a patient were presenting acute otitis media and a slight intermittent cough, Dr give a prescription would level 99204/14 but to me it seems to be a 99203/13.
The last 3 scenarios of cellulitis, hemorrhoid and anxiety most of the time when I run across this presenting problem I have found it to be an exacerbation or chronic.

Last edited: