Wiki Obesity counseling

TYSON1234

Guru
Best answers
Started coding for a new Dr. that does alot of obesity counseling, especially for her ob patients. Is there a code I can use or is it part of their visit? I thought there was an announcement that came out that it's billable, but I can't find it anywhere. Thanks for any input...

97802-97804 address MNT; however each insurance has its own policy related to allowable DX. I believe obesity is one of the diagnosis that I found to be "not allowed" because the patient has to have another chronic condition that is affected by the obesity- like diabetes or thyroid. We have had providers in the clinic setting spend the additional time with clients and billed the 97802-97803 in addition to the E&M with a 25 modifier. Also, you should check with your State health plan to see what their restrictions are as well. Some states only allow a RD who is employed by the group or hospital to provide the service and some only allow a Primary Care Physician. Good luck.

Mnt

I have had the MNT codes denied when not performed by a certified nutritionist. There is a recent (Feb 09:13) citing in CPT Assistant for those codes if anyone has access to CPT Assistant.

I have used 99401 for counseling services that was provided by the doctor for obesity. Please note, these codes are by time.

Tami