• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • We’re introducing new features and a new look to make the forums easier to use and more valuable to you. See what's new and let us know what you think!

Observation coding

michiboo

Networker
Best answers
General question, new to inpatient and outpatient. In our practice currently I am just capturing the professional services, so if I'm coding providers H&P or see providers who see patients from ER to observation, I should NOT be using the G0378 code, correct?:confused:

hofm04

Networker
Best answers
Obervation

Obervation codes are to be used by the attending phy only, per CPT guidelines and CGS Medicare. Initial obs codes are 99218-99220. follow up 99224-99226 discharge 99217.

Mayzoo

Guru
Best answers
This might help, G0378 is a facility code:

"Initial Observation Care CPT® codes 99218-99220 and subsequent Observation Care CPT codes 99224-99226 are
used to report evaluation and management (E/M) services provided to new or established patients designated as
"observation status" in a hospital."

Question 4 near bottom of page:

"Why are Observation Codes G0378 and G0379 not addressed in this policy?
A: These HCPCS codes are not to be reported for physician services. These codes are to be billed by
facilities on a UB-04 claim form."

https://www.oxhp.com/secure/policy/observation_care_evaluation_and_management_codes.pdf

Last edited: