Wiki Observation vs. Outpatient

karey

Networker
Best answers
Would going to the hospital for chemo due to drug sensitivity vs having it in the office/out patient facility be considered observation?

I would think that if the patient is being sent to the hospital for treatment due to drug sensitivity this would be considered observation as the patient is being observed for possible reaction to the drug.

If it is considered an outpatient hospital visit then would I use E/M codes 99211-99215?

:eek:

Generally a patient is placed in observation (by a written order by a doctor) for a condition that warrants observation and that may result in an admission at some point. Simply having a treatment at a hospital doesn't necessarily mean that the patient was placed in observation, even if they are monitored for hours following the procedure or treatment.
Do you have access to the hospital system? That should tell you if the patient had observation status or was an outpatient. Our hospital uses V to indicate observation status.
Diane

Generally a patient is placed in observation (by a written order by a doctor) for a condition that warrants observation and that may result in an admission at some point. Simply having a treatment at a hospital doesn't necessarily mean that the patient was placed in observation, even if they are monitored for hours following the procedure or treatment.
Do you have access to the hospital system? That should tell you if the patient had observation status or was an outpatient. Our hospital uses V to indicate observation status.
Diane

Thanks! Yes I have access. The hospital or Physician (I have to find out which one is doing it) is sometimes putting the patient as outpatient and sometimes putting them as observation. I just wanted clarity before I went to someone about it.