Wiki Olcecranon Bursectomy - Primary Dx Arrangement after Pathology Results?

cclarson

Guru
Best answers
Hello, I have a quick question. The doctor performed an olecranon bursectomy to remove infected olecranon bursa. When the pathology results came in, it described that there was an epidermal cyst in the bursa that had ruptured, and that the bursitis was secondary. For proper coding, should I code the olecranon bursitis or cyst as primary? Normally I'd code the bursitis first since that was the point of the procedure, and the cyst second, but the fact that the pathology results came back saying the bursitis is secondary, it has me doubting my choice. Please let me know what you think! Also, since the bursa is infected, can i still use the regular olecranon bursitis code, or an other infective bursitis?

Hello, I have a quick question. The doctor performed an olecranon bursectomy to remove infected olecranon bursa. When the pathology results came in, it described that there was an epidermal cyst in the bursa that had ruptured, and that the bursitis was secondary. For proper coding, should I code the olecranon bursitis or cyst as primary? Normally I'd code the bursitis first since that was the point of the procedure, and the cyst second, but the fact that the pathology results came back saying the bursitis is secondary, it has me doubting my choice. Please let me know what you think! Also, since the bursa is infected, can i still use the regular olecranon bursitis code, or an other infective bursitis?
Any thoughts? or am I overthinking this?