Wiki Oncology Coding

Best answers
I currentley am a CPC and have primary done E&M coding. Can anyone give me some information regarding oncology coding. I am looking for resources to further my knowledge.
I would appreciate any help.
Thanks

Oncology

Depending on the ICD-9 code book you are using there is a section in the front of the book that covers how to code neoplasms. Primary, secondary and history a malignant neoplasms. I believe it is the 140 or 149 area. For the CPT side you must be familiar with the hydration, chemo and non chemo infusion area. Always code chemo admin first, followed by chemo push, then non chemo iv, non chemo push, hydration, injections. Push is 15 mins or less. Hyrdration can only be billed if no drugs were being administered during the hydration. For example hydration started at 1000 and ended at 1035. Cisplatin Started at 1036 and ended at 1115. You would bill 96413 the cisplatin then 96361. Hope this helps..the guidelines in the CPT are very useful.

Last edited:
AAPC now offers a CHOC (HEM/ONC specialty credentialing) credentialing. You should check it out. Although the information in it does cover basic coding, it is geared towards Hem/Onc. If you are really interested in getting into the business of Hem/Onc coding, see if you can job shadow at a local office. Feel free to contact me if you have any specific questions. Good luck!

I am interested in the CHOC certification, but am not finding good sources for Oncology specific CEU's. I don't want to get the certification and then be stuck. Any ideas?