• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below..
  • Important Note: We will be performing a scheduled maintenance on 1st November 2020. The site will be offline from 7:30PM (MT) till midnight. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Open Component Separation (?)

Ozbaby

Contributor
Best answers
Have you folks come across OCS? And if you have, can you break it down and tell me how to identify it when I see it and also for this would be properly coded? I think I understand that a necessary donor site must be listed. Any help would be great. Thank you!:rolleyes:

mjewett

Guru
Best answers
What a great find! I read the article on component separation and spoke to my doctor. I looked at a recent surgery he did on a pt. for Gigantic hernia repair and he did component separation! Billing the muscle flap code bilaterally and the xenograft code for use of collamend mesh could almost double the reimbursement for the hernia repair surgery. I also checked the codes on Excellus BCBS clinical editing system and all codes would be allowed for payment!!!!!
Thanks
Melissa Jewett, CPC