Wiki Opinions, please...

tammster

Guru
Best answers
I'd like to get some opinions on this procedure. The doctor and I disagree on the coding for this:

...attention was directed to the posterior aspect of the gastroc tendon two fingerbreadths distal to the muscle belly. A stab incision was made medially and bluntly dissected down to the gastroc tendon. Tunnel was created behind the tendon. Cannula and scope were introduced. This was in the correct position. There was no neurovascular structures present. Next, a tendon was then transected from medial to lateral with correction of the equinus deformity being noted as excellent. Again, no vital structures were noted. The cannula was removed. The area was flushed and the incision was closed with a 4-0 nylon...

I could be way off but I was thinking about code 27687, however I'm somewhat new to podiatry. What code where you thinking and what code did the doctor give you?

A coworker and I came up with that also. But, the doctor states firmly that it should be billed out as 29999.

Wow, unlisted codes take a while to pay doesn't seem like the doctor would want to use that. I will keep looking for you and if I come up with something I'll write back.

Look at CPT 27685. This does not specify which tendon only leg or foot. He did state that a tendon was transected to correct the equinus deformity.

Other opinions?