Wiki ORIF with Intramedullary nail of supracondylar distal femur fracture with intercondylar extension

cliff.chen89

Contributor
Best answers
Hello my fellow coders! Basically, I'm wondering for an ORIF and Intramedullary nail of supracondylar distal femur fracture with intercondylar extension, should I go with CPT 27513, 27506, or can I code both?

I can post the Op Report if anyone is interested. Basically, my doctor treated a supracondylar distal femur fracture with intercondylar extension by both ORIF (w/ plate, screws, and K-wires) and also an IM nail.

I'm trying to decide between either:
27513 - (Open treatment of femoral supracondylar or transcondylar fracture with intercondylar extension, includes internal fixation, when performed)
or
27506 - (Open treatment of femoral shaft fracture, with or without external fixation, with insertion of intramedullary implant, with or without cerclage and/or locking screws)

I'm veering more onto 27513 since the fracture was definitely supracondylar distal femur fracture with intercondylar extension, however the doctor clearly documents he put in a plate in th ORIF as well as an IM nail, which is why I'm wondering if I shoulder bill 27506 instead. Can I bill both of these codes? Which one would be the correct choice?

Without reading the report I would go with 27513 based on the dx as the IM nail could be part of the internal fixation