Wiki Orthostatic hypotension vs. syncope?

Community Wiki

This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on AAPC for 30 days and have made 5 posts. Learn More
G
Code: I95

Code Name: ICD-10 Code for Hypotension

Block: Other and unspecified disorders of the circulatory system (I95-I99)

Details: Hypotension

Excludes 1: cardiovascular collapse (R57.9)maternal hypotension syndrome (O26.5-) non

Guidelines: Diseases of the circulatory system (I00-I99)

Excludes 2: certain conditions originating in the perina

For more details on I95 , ICD-10 Code for Hypotension , visit: https://coder.aapc.com/icd-10-codes-range/
Best answers
When coding syncope due to or related to orthostatic hypotension...which code is identified? The syncope or the Orthostatic hypotension? I have questions about the excludes note under syncope excluding orthostatic hypotension. Due to the ambiguity of the ICD9 excludes notes...does the excludes note under syncope indicate that orthostatic hypotension should not be coded and only syncope coded? Or that orthostatc hypotension should be coded and not syncope?

Best answers
Excludes means the excluded condition is separate from the term's description and can be coded separately. In this case, if syncope is due to OH, OH should be PDx and syncope SDx.