• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below..
  • Important Note: We will be performing a scheduled maintenance on 1st November 2020. The site will be offline from 7:30PM (MT) till midnight. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

out patient surgery/admitted

jpenland1

Networker
Best answers
good afternoon all! i think i know the answer to my own question, but i am always second guessing, so in that case i need a few opinions please.

We had a patient that had a shoulder scope, and because of her age was admitted over night. Clearly in the Op note, it says this. She was discharged the next day, but because it was just over night, should it be billed out Out patient? I am saying no, it should be billed as inpatient. any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Jen P:rolleyes:

mbort

True Blue
Best answers
23 hours or less is still considered outpatient. It will be important to find out what her true "admit" time was as well as her discharge time.

Best answers
Is this automatic?

Mary,
I'm not sure that it is automatic that if the stay was less than 24 hours it is considered outpatient (observation).

I've seen patient's admitted to inpatient status in the evening and wind up going home the next day. We code them as inpatient admits and discharges.
(I'm dealing in pediatrics, so we're not talking about Medicare.)

Also ... time should really be noted using the 24-hour clock, so there's no question of a.m. vs p.m. It seems most of our hospital charts use the 24-hours clock.

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CPC-E/M

Last edited:

kmihevc

New
Best answers
I would contact the hosptials HIM department and verify the patients status. It is correct that generally patients who are less than 24 hours are admitted but it is under the umbrella of observation and therefore should be coded as an outpatient status. On ocassion, a patient can be a full inpatient admit and then be released before 24 hours. Your best source for the patients status is to check with the facility.
KMihevc, RHIT, CPC