• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • We're introducing new features and a new look to make the forums easier to use and more valuable to you. See what's new and let us know what you think!

PA assisting surgeon

tsmith8

Contributor
Best answers
:eek:When a PA assists surgeon, instead of using modifier "AS", can we bill using the "80" modifier? Some codes will not accept the AS modifier.

JMeggett

Guru
Best answers
:eek:When a PA assists surgeon, instead of using modifier "AS", can we bill using the "80" modifier? Some codes will not accept the AS modifier.
Some codes don't accept -AS? I know some carriers don't recognize the -AS modifier and for those insurances we use -80, but if a CPT doesn't allow -AS then it won't allow -80 either as far as I know. In Washington our Labor & Industries doesn't recognize -AS and so we bill our PA-C assists with -80 modifier to them.

Jenna

hortonwl

Contributor
Best answers
I was under the impression that the 80 modifier was for qualified physicians only, and if the assistant surgeon is a PA-C the AS modifier *has* to be used. Is this incorrect? Does it vary from state to state? Would love some insight, I've been fighting my ortho denials from medicaid for asst surgeons b/c they do not recognize the AS mod, but since these are for PA's I feel it is not appropriate to change the mod to 80?

Thanks,
Whitney CPC-A

JMeggett

Guru
Best answers
Whitney, I totally agree with you in that CPT makes it clear how to bill those PA-C Assist claims....but Rebecca is correct in bringing up the written policy thing. If a carrier wants to create a written policy of how they want their claims then per our contract with that carrier we are complying with that written policy by billing it with -80.

Jenna