• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • We're introducing new features and a new look to make the forums easier to use and more valuable to you. See what's new and let us know what you think!

Pain Pump Refill Coding


Toledo, Ohio
Best answers
Ok, so one of my docs does a lot of pain pumps and refills. The pharmacy send me a copy of the invoice with a flat fee on with code J3490 as the billing code. Sometimes it's multiple drugs such as Hydromorphone, Bupivicaine & Clondine mixed together. We also have a couple that are straight Hyromorphone or Morphine Sulfate mixed with Sodium Chloride & Sterile Water or a Baclofen mixture of the same.

Can anyone help with if all these are fine being billed under J7799 or J3490? I have been told that once they are mixed with something else even the Saline, they become a compound drug and for the pump they should be billed under one of these codes.

Thank you
Last edited: