• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • We’re introducing new features and a new look to make the forums easier to use and more valuable to you. See what's new and let us know what you think!

PA's In Tenn


Best answers
Can Physician Assitants work independently in Tenn? Does the MD have to be onsite? Any guidance on where I can research this would be appreciated. thanks
Milwaukee WI
Best answers
State license

Start with your state's licensing board. They will have specific guidelines as to what the scope of practice is for allied health professionals.

As long as they are within their scope of practice - and you are billing for them under their own name/number - PAs can perform all the E/M services, and many procedures (including fracture treatment, removal of lesions, etc) independently.

Hope that helps.

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC