Wiki patient seen in E.R. on Aug. 10th and admittied on Aug 11th

jhack

Networker
Best answers
I have a Dr. Who was called to see a pt. in the E.R. late Aug. 10th and did and h&p and then found out pt. wasn't admitted until Aug. 11th. What are the guidelines for dos to code for? If the h&p is billed with admit date of the 11th and the documentation states the 10th there will be issues with admit date.

Also, If Dr. sees patient on the 10th and does h&p and requests a special bed and pt. isn't admitted until the 11 which dos should be coded?

Any help or guidelines would be appreciated.:confused:

The admit would be coded based on the documentation. It doesn't matter if the hospital didn't have a bed on that calendar date.

The same thing is true for the reverse, if the patient is in a bed on the 10th but the H&P isn't done until the 11th, the date the documentation supports is the date you bill.

Laura, CPC, CEMC

How would you get this processed by insurance with an h and p date of the 10th and an admit date of the 11th then? I don't understand.

This is old but still valid and the exact situation you are dealing with. The following was on the bottom of page 2 on the link.

http://www.wpsmedicare.com/part_b/publications/1002comm.pdf

Q6. I admitted a patient to a hospital in the late evening on a Tuesday, but I did not actually see the
patient until Wednesday morning. What is the date of service for the initial hospital visit (CPT
99221-99223)?
A6. If you performed the service on Wednesday morning, you should bill for it as a Wednesday date of
service

Hope this helps,

Laura, CPC, CEMC

THANKS-any ther suggestions, if Dr. sees pt late on day 1 and admits on day 2?