Pediatrics - need advice

Rutledge

Best answers
I am hoping to get some advise on how to bill these types of situations:
Provider meets with both parents to discuss the coordination of care for his patient. 30 to 45 minutes. The patient is not present; due to reasons ranging from behavior to being in such a fraile state this could compromise their health.

I know with all e/m codes the patient must be present.... Is there any other way to bill this? thank you

btadlock1

Best answers
I am hoping to get some advise on how to bill these types of situations:
Provider meets with both parents to discuss the coordination of care for his patient. 30 to 45 minutes. The patient is not present; due to reasons ranging from behavior to being in such a fraile state this could compromise their health.

I know with all e/m codes the patient must be present.... Is there any other way to bill this? thank you
Not all of them - I don't have my books with me but I know for a fact that there are at least 2 sections you should look in - read the guidelines to see which one fits best - There is an entire section on 'Non-Face-to-Face Evaluation and Management Services', and I think that 99401 - 99404(?) may also work, but I can't remember what the guidelines say about the patient's presence, though. Hope that helps! Good luck! ;)

Best answers
Pediatric Patients

In Pediatrics, the PARENT is considered the PATIENT for purposes of face-to-face counseling ... minor patients are not the decision makers, the parents are.

Hope that helps.

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC