Wiki Pediatrics - need advice

Rutledge

Best answers
I am hoping to get some advise on how to bill these types of situations:
Provider meets with both parents to discuss the coordination of care for his patient. 30 to 45 minutes. The patient is not present; due to reasons ranging from behavior to being in such a fraile state this could compromise their health.

I know with all e/m codes the patient must be present.... Is there any other way to bill this? thank you

I am hoping to get some advise on how to bill these types of situations:
Provider meets with both parents to discuss the coordination of care for his patient. 30 to 45 minutes. The patient is not present; due to reasons ranging from behavior to being in such a fraile state this could compromise their health.

I know with all e/m codes the patient must be present.... Is there any other way to bill this? thank you

Not all of them - I don't have my books with me but I know for a fact that there are at least 2 sections you should look in - read the guidelines to see which one fits best - There is an entire section on 'Non-Face-to-Face Evaluation and Management Services', and I think that 99401 - 99404(?) may also work, but I can't remember what the guidelines say about the patient's presence, though. Hope that helps! Good luck! ;)

Pediatric Patients

In Pediatrics, the PARENT is considered the PATIENT for purposes of face-to-face counseling ... minor patients are not the decision makers, the parents are.

Hope that helps.

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC

At what age do you no longer need the parent/guardians legal consent to treat the pediatric patient? For In person office visit & Telehealth?

depending on what kind of visit, 18 and older you do not need parents, 12 and older certain visit,question and answer can bypass parents

At what age do you no longer need the parent/guardians legal consent to treat the pediatric patient? For In person office visit & Telehealth?
This varies by state as does the age of majority. Check with your state medical society or medical liability company.