Wiki Percutaneous Gastrostomy Placement without reason for placement - what ICD-10 do you assign?

whatwouldyousay

Networker
Best answers
Is a gastrostomy considered a GI device? If so I would assign Z46.59 Is gastrostomy considered a catheter? If so I would assign Z46.82 I do not feel Z43.1 is appropriate since that is an aftercare code used for an existing gastrostomy. Please let me know your thoughts! o_O

Is a gastrostomy considered a GI device? If so I would assign Z46.59 Is gastrostomy considered a catheter? If so I would assign Z46.82 I do not feel Z43.1 is appropriate since that is an aftercare code used for an existing gastrostomy. Please let me know your thoughts! o_O
Yes, it's a GI device. What does the op report state as the reason for the procedure?

Yes, it's a GI device. What does the op report state as the reason for the procedure?
Thanks Lisa! This is a report I am auditing so I am trying to respond to the audit appropriately for this report which lacks any indication, reason, or history for the coder to use. Z43.1 was assigned but I lean to assign Z46.59.

Thanks Lisa! This is a report I am auditing so I am trying to respond to the audit appropriately for this report which lacks any indication, reason, or history for the coder to use. Z43.1 was assigned but I lean to assign Z46.59.
I agree with your rationale, Z46.59 is more appropriate for the placement of the device whereas Z43.1 is for evaluation or maintenance of an existing device. But personally, I would consider the record to be deficient if no diagnosis or reason for the procedure was documented and would have recommended a query to the provider rather than using either of these codes.

I agree with your rationale, Z46.59 is more appropriate for the placement of the device whereas Z43.1 is for evaluation or maintenance of an existing device. But personally, I would consider the record to be deficient if no diagnosis or reason for the procedure was documented and would have recommended a query to the provider rather than using either of these codes.
I agree. Because I was auditing the previously coded report I was only trying to determine how to respond to the codes assigned in the situation. Thanks for responding, @thomas7331 :)