Wiki Periprosthetic proximal femur fracture and/or ORIF

cmort68

Contributor
Best answers
Good Afternoon,

My physician and I are looking for some advice in regards how to best code this surgical procedure. A little background; our patient had a RT THA a week ago and was ambulating at home, fell and presented to the ER. Diagnosed with a RT periprosthetic proximal femur fracture (M97.01XA) (S72.341A) (Z96.643), patient brought to the OR for fixture of said fracture with cables, but also our physician did a revision right total hip arthroplasty single component (femoral component only). My provider is wondering if we can bill CPT 27138 with an ORIF CPT 27236. There is a CCI edit with those two codes, can we append a modifier -51 to 27236 OR due to the complexity of the surgery add the modifier -22 to CPT 27138 instead for the increased work as noted in the OP note. Would love any guidance provided. Please see OP note below :) Thanks in advance for any help provided!!!!

Attachments

• 20211220_152532.pdf
    116.1 KB · Views: 13
here is the description to 27236 per the coders desk reference:

The physician directly exposes the femoral fracture for treatment. The patient is placed in a supine position or slightly rolled up onto the other side. A 15 cm incision is made over the lateral hip. The fascia lata is split and the vastus lateralis muscle is detached from the femur. The physician exposes the femoral neck and head. A small periosteal elevator or Kirschner wire is used to reduce (reposition) the fracture. The physician places guide pins through the bone and across the fracture. The guide pins help determine correct screw length. The physician may use cannulated screws or compression hip screws and a plate to achieve internal fixation. In some cases due to the risk of subsequent non-union or avascular necrosis, the physician may replace the femoral head with a femoral prosthesis. The femoral canal is reamed out. A prosthesis of the proper size and length is selected and inserted into the femoral canal. The physician reduces the prosthesis into the acetabulum. The incision is repaired in layers with sutures, staples, and/or Steri-strips.

My thinking is since reason for this was fx I would go with this code instead of the revision. Documentation is there for a 22 don't forget that since this is still in post op to add the 78 too:)

here is the description to 27236 per the coders desk reference:

The physician directly exposes the femoral fracture for treatment. The patient is placed in a supine position or slightly rolled up onto the other side. A 15 cm incision is made over the lateral hip. The fascia lata is split and the vastus lateralis muscle is detached from the femur. The physician exposes the femoral neck and head. A small periosteal elevator or Kirschner wire is used to reduce (reposition) the fracture. The physician places guide pins through the bone and across the fracture. The guide pins help determine correct screw length. The physician may use cannulated screws or compression hip screws and a plate to achieve internal fixation. In some cases due to the risk of subsequent non-union or avascular necrosis, the physician may replace the femoral head with a femoral prosthesis. The femoral canal is reamed out. A prosthesis of the proper size and length is selected and inserted into the femoral canal. The physician reduces the prosthesis into the acetabulum. The incision is repaired in layers with sutures, staples, and/or Steri-strips.

My thinking is since reason for this was fx I would go with this code instead of the revision. Documentation is there for a 22 don't forget that since this is still in post op to add the 78 too:)
Awesome, thank you for responding!! I will go with 27236-22-78