• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below..
  • Important Note: We will be performing a scheduled maintenance on 1st November 2020. The site will be offline from 7:30PM (MT) till midnight. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Pet

Kimberley

Expert
Best answers
When coding a PET scan.....indication/signs & symptoms are HODGKINS.

IMPRESSION: No definite evidence of residual/recurrent or distance FDS avid malignancy.

What dx code is appropriate to use? 202.80???

Kimberley Tober, CPC
Franklin, TN

Anna Weaver

True Blue
Best answers
hodgkins

When coding a PET scan.....indication/signs & symptoms are HODGKINS.

IMPRESSION: No definite evidence of residual/recurrent or distance FDS avid malignancy.

What dx code is appropriate to use? 202.80???

Kimberley Tober, CPC
Franklin, TN

In 3M when I start with Hodgkins and go unspecified throughout I end up with 201.90 hodgkins, unspecified site. In ICD-9 if you look under Hodgkins disease it's listed as 201.90 Hodgkins disease, unspecified.
Unless you can find other documentation, this is what I would go with.

Kimberley

Expert
Best answers
PET dx

I guess what I'm really questioning is, is it appropriate to use the dx of Hodgkins even though the impression states no malignancy.

Anna Weaver

True Blue
Best answers
Sorry. I would say code Hodgkins, as the report says "No definite evidence of residual/recurrent or distance FDS avid malignancy", and that's the reason for the testing. It does not have a definitive answer for your result. But, you will probably get other coders who say do not code it. I might be more leery of coding Hodgkins if the result said no evidence of...

Anna Weaver

True Blue
Best answers
no evidence

I would take it back to the physician and ask for clarification and provide the result of the PET. He may or may not say use the Hodgkins, but that's where I would start.