Wiki Physiatry CPT CODES

Irma

Contributor
Best answers
Hello-

Has anyone had any experience in coding for Physiatry???? We have a new MD coming to our office who's specialty is physiatry. I have never heard of the the specialty much less of cpt codes. I googled physiatry and obtained some information but not much.

Anything helps.

Thanks,
Irma :eek:

Irma,

Physiatry is also known as Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. Both MD and DO can specialize in this. For E/M, they will use the same codes as any other specialty. The ones I coded for did a lot of work comp, stroke rehabiliation, and chronic pain management. I would bone up on your joint aspiration/injection codes, trigger point, nerve blocks, EMG and NCS codes. Some also do the spine injections; some will manage pain pump reprogramming and refills. Our group also chair the IP Rehab department of the hospital, and work closely with PT/OT/ST (but those are through the hospital so I didn't have to code them). One of ours is a DO, so he does sometimes do the Osteopathic Manipulation.

Good luck,

Cindy is absolutely correct and the only thing I can add is to maybe "bone" up on the pain guidelines for diagnosis coding for use of the 338.xx dx codes. Most of the time I see only a 7xx.xx code used for back pain or neck pain etc. and rarely see the 338.xx codes however when I look at the documentation the 338.xx codes are well documented.