• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • We're introducing new features and a new look to make the forums easier to use and more valuable to you. See what's new and let us know what you think!

Physiatry CPT CODES

Irma

New
Best answers
Hello-

Has anyone had any experience in coding for Physiatry???? We have a new MD coming to our office who's specialty is physiatry. I have never heard of the the specialty much less of cpt codes. I googled physiatry and obtained some information but not much.

Anything helps.

Thanks,
Irma :eek:

cmcgarry

Best answers
Irma,

Physiatry is also known as Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. Both MD and DO can specialize in this. For E/M, they will use the same codes as any other specialty. The ones I coded for did a lot of work comp, stroke rehabiliation, and chronic pain management. I would bone up on your joint aspiration/injection codes, trigger point, nerve blocks, EMG and NCS codes. Some also do the spine injections; some will manage pain pump reprogramming and refills. Our group also chair the IP Rehab department of the hospital, and work closely with PT/OT/ST (but those are through the hospital so I didn't have to code them). One of ours is a DO, so he does sometimes do the Osteopathic Manipulation.

Good luck,

mitchellde

True Blue
Best answers
Cindy is absolutely correct and the only thing I can add is to maybe "bone" up on the pain guidelines for diagnosis coding for use of the 338.xx dx codes. Most of the time I see only a 7xx.xx code used for back pain or neck pain etc. and rarely see the 338.xx codes however when I look at the documentation the 338.xx codes are well documented.