Wiki physician assistant as referring or use her supervising physician for audiology

Best answers
Requesting some help on physician assistant billing and compliance. The physician assistant is filing under her own information for a evaluation and management visit because her supervising physician is out of the office. She sees a new patient and determines they need audiological testing. The audiologist does the testing and the audiology testing claim is filed under the audiologist, but who is the referring provider for the audios? Is the PA? Or, do we use her supervising physician since he will be reviewing the visit and testing as required by CMS. I'd greatly appreciate help on this. I don't want to mess up on a PA issue. I'm sure I should know the answer, but I don't.

Please help!

Maggie Timmons, CPC, CPMA
Eastern Oklahoma Ear Nose and Throat
maggie@eoent.com

Requesting some help on physician assistant billing and compliance. The physician assistant is filing under her own information for a evaluation and management visit because her supervising physician is out of the office. She sees a new patient and determines they need audiological testing. The audiologist does the testing and the audiology testing claim is filed under the audiologist, but who is the referring provider for the audios? Is the PA? Or, do we use her supervising physician since he will be reviewing the visit and testing as required by CMS. I'd greatly appreciate help on this. I don't want to mess up on a PA issue. I'm sure I should know the answer, but I don't.

Please help!

Maggie Timmons, CPC, CPMA
Eastern Oklahoma Ear Nose and Throat
maggie@eoent.com

Per CMS guidelines, PA's are on the list of provider types that can order and refer services, so there shouldn't be any problem with listing the PA as the ordering provider on the claim. I know I've come across an MLN article about this, but can't find it right now.

As far as the MD being the one to review the report once it's ready...I'm not sure about that. That might need to be an internal workflow that needs to be put in place to make sure it gets to the MD. Hopefully someone else will chime in.

HTH!

As long as the PA, or NP is billing under their own name, with their own NPI and PTAN, they are allowed to refer patients. So, using their name, is allowed.
Hope this clears up any confusion.