• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • We're introducing new features and a new look to make the forums easier to use and more valuable to you. See what's new and let us know what you think!

Please help coding Exc.Flank Mass

Hopp

Guru
Best answers
Hi - Wondering if someone would help with coding the following: Excision of 6cm deep subcu. right flank mass with layered closure DX: Lipoma (Also, Doc.Wants to bill an office visit with this? Not sure-about that either)
Thanks for your help
Deb, CPC

dmaec

True Blue
Best answers
I'd need a bit more info before being able to help with codes. Need to see the dictation to determine if both can be coded...and what "exactly" was done.

lring

Guru
Best answers
closure

I would use 21930 and a layered closure from 12031-12057 category (size matters :) with 214.1. If this is the first time the provider has examined the mass and made the decision on this date to excise it -you can bill the E&M with a -25. Assuming this was all done in the office not in the OR.

Lynn Ring

heathermc

Best answers
I would only use 21930. Per the coders desk reference this code includes layer closure with sutures, staples or steri-strips.

mbort

True Blue
Best answers
I agree with Heather, just the 21930. Depth does not matter with this code and as Heather mentioned, it would include the closure.

Mary, CPC, COSC