Wiki Please help...new to cardiothoracic

crhunt78

Guru
Best answers
I was wondering if anyone out there can lead me to some material or information that will help me better learn cardiothoracic coding. I started my job about a month ago and I have the CABG procedure down but I get so confused when it comes to Aneurysm repairs, Septal Defect repairs and post op complication codes. I was just "thrown" in to start coding this stuff and I have a general surgery background but it is totally different from cardiothoracic surgery. Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!! :confused:

If you can make it to the annual STS Coding Workshop in October, they always provide a ton of information. I always find it helpful. You can check their website for info -
www.sts.org

I've been coding CT surgery for 7 or 8 years now. Feel free to email me with questions as well.

Lisi, CPC
eharkler@nmh.org

need some help too!

I wish someone would throw me into this coding. I am still an apprentice and no one will give me an opportunity to get a start. I would love to do cardiology coding. I stay up on it the best I can. I know it is very challenging. When I read that someone was throw into it. Granted you have experience in general surgery. I'm still trying to get my foot in the door. I recently interviewed for a front desk position at an orthopaedics outpt facility. Just have to keep trying.

Hi John. I know it can be very frustrating. Unlike RN's everyone want us to have experience which I never really quite understood, if you passed the 5 hour test, earning you CPC. I think you are doing the right thing; I knew it would be a challenge to get a coding job so I used the company I already worked for (doing ins verification) and spoke with the manager about getting into coding once I passed. I passed went back to my manager and the CFO and they gave me a shot. I started out helping pull reports for the other coders and was exposed to a little E&M. Then I was shown some heart cath's and just progressed from there. Funny thing was they said it would take me 6 months to a year to get 'my own clinic' (which means I'm assigned to coding specifically for that clinic) and I had my own within 3 months. DON'T GIVE UP! If I'm ever a manager, I WILL give newley credentialed memebers a chance because someone took a chance on me. :)

CTS added to practice

Hi Julie,

We are adding a CTS surgery to our cardiology group. Any information or references to be referred would be greatly appreciated!!!

Please email to: cweavercpc@gmail.com

Thanks so much!!!!!:)

I have been coding cardiothoracic for 7 months now & am now just getting the heart stuff but am still having problems with the lung anatomy, does you training packet have any good tips for Lungs in particular? I also code cardiovascular & thats a whole nother ball of wax!! My background was ortho I was lucky enough to be hired, trained & given the opportunity to code Anesthesia which I have been doing for 5 years and I just loving it!!
I am going to the Conference in Chgo see if I can pick up any tips they have a couple of sessions that cover cardiovascular & cardiothoracic anesthesia, as well as a session by Dr. Dunn the GURU of Vascular coding! If you find the time to email me the packet you can 4ward it to the email below Thanks!

TIA,
martinicoder@gmail.com

I too have been tossed into Cardiology and I am lost

Could someone share that info with me as well. I am also very confused regarding the Removal/ replacement and revision of the pocket codes for the DDDR Generator. My physician codes all his cases and he continually codes 33212, 33222 and 33233 together.

I don't quite understand it all yet and I know there are 2 different kinds of generators or pacemakers the single and the dual. When I research the codes in my coding companion I really feel like he should be using the 33227. Can anyone offer me any guidance here?

my email is leejac@trinity-health.org

Thanks
Jackie

CTS guide

Hi,
I know it has been awhile but do you have an updated copy of your CTS guide?
I sure would appreciate one!
Thank you in advance for your help.
Carol Hakenson

chakenson1@verizon.net