Wiki Possible error in 2009 CPT manual?

dhull

New
Best answers
Please excuse me if this has been asked and answered previously, but I was unable to find a comment elsewhere....in the comments under CPT code 99465 it states "Do not report 99465 in conjunction with 99460, 99468, 99477." However, in the informational section under "Inpatient Neonatal and pediatric Critical Care" it states in the 3rd paragraph..."The intital day neonatal critical care code (99468) can be used in addition to 99464 or 99465as appropriate, when the physician is present for the delivery (99464) or resuscitation (99465) is required." This two statements seem inconsistent...any comments? I am presenting the new codes to a group of pediatricians and want to assure I am interpreting the new information correctly.

Yeah I believe it is a typo. If you look at 99464 it says "99464 may be reported in conjunction with 99460, 99468, 99477." I think 99465 is suppose to say the same thing.

I disagree - CPT is correct

I'm just guessing here, because there are SO many inconsistencies in the new pediatric codes. I really think AMA needed someone who is an English major to clearly write these descriptions and edit for inconsistencies.

hlorona writes: If you look at 99464 it says "99464 may be reported in conjunction with 99460, 99468, 99477." I think 99465 is suppose to say the same thing.

I think the only part of the parenthetical remark under 99465 that is incorrect is saying you cannot use it with 99468 or 99477.

99460 is for initial care of the normal newborn - a normal newborn shouldn't need resusitation.

Then again, under the Newborn Care Services paragraph (2009 CPT professional edition, pg 32) it states in the 3rd paragraph ... When delivery room attendance services (99464) or delivery room resuscitation services (99465) are required, report these in addition to normal newborn services.

That's clear as mud!

There's an audio conference on Wednesday Dec 3 on the new pediatric codes. I plan to ask a LOT of questions!

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CPC-E/M

Yeah it is a total mess. One thing says it one way then the total opposite in another place. Makes me laugh. Let us know what they say about it in the audio conference. Im curious to know!

Thanks for the input...at least I was not the only one who thought that there were inconsistencies...unfortunately, I cannot participate in an audio conference on the 3rd because I am heading to Plattsburgh to give a conference on the new codes...would be nice to have the audio information first but if you would not mind sending on some tidbits I can always forward to my audience if inconsistent with what I have learned. Thanks again.