• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • We're introducing new features and a new look to make the forums easier to use and more valuable to you. See what's new and let us know what you think!

Post Operative Pain Block dictation

L Loring

Best answers
Can someone please tell me if nerve blocks for post operative pain need to have dictaion for the block or can they use a coding sheet where the information is recorded?

If dictation is required for the blocks where would I find that information (resource) to show the Dr.?

jdrueppel

Expert
Best answers
No, a "dictation" of the service is not required. It must, however, be documented in the patient's medical record. My physicians document these services in the Progress Notes or on the anesthesia record. We have a separate "procedure page" to the anesthesia record and they hand write their procedure documentation.

Julie, CPC

L Loring

Best answers
thank you so much for the information. can you please tell me where that is documented that dictation is not needed.

Thank you so much,

Linda

jdrueppel

Expert
Best answers
No, but I have never seen anything stating it has to be dictated either. In addition, I have never had a problem with any payers (governmental or private) not accepting copies of our hand written documents.

Julie, CPC