• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • We’re introducing new features and a new look to make the forums easier to use and more valuable to you. See what's new and let us know what you think!

Prescription drug dispensed in office

joyce

Networker
Best answers
How would you or do you code for a prescription drug dispensed at the time of an office visit. This is medication we purchased. Pt given 2gm of Flagyl.
There are times when certain DME items can't be billed and are inclusive to the E/M, are there instances when medication is inclusive to the E/M?

dmaec

True Blue
Best answers
where I work, oral medication given in the office is not charged out. It's inclusive to the E/M visit. Sometimes, we have certain prescriptions on hand and they are given to the patient for whatever reason. Sometimes the docs have to write a prescription and the patient has to go pay for it at the pharmacy. But, when it's given in the office and it's oral - we don't charge.
{that's my opinion on the posted matter}

mbort

True Blue
Best answers
if a single dose (unless its extremely high priced) I would consider it as part of the e/m as well. However if you are dispensing a 7/10/15/30 day supply(which we do) then those are billable

jas0426

Networker
Best answers
We would charge medications we dispensed for workers comp and auto accidents. These were billed using 99070,___ or 96370,___. We had different numbers for different medications. It was such a pain to even get paid by them, that we have now gone to a different service to handle the scripts.

However, I know they do bill for meds at my doctors office, but as stated in the previous post it was for 15 day or higher supply.

Sorry couldn't be more help.