Wiki Preventative services

herrera4

Guru
Best answers
we do dietary services in our office with a RD who is credentialed thru BCBS- we bill according to their guidelines with S9470 for each visit Dx-V65.3 and any other comorbidities depending on patient. Our BCBS patient s call the insurance and they tell them they have nutritional counseling if it is billed as a "Preventative Service" but they deny services as we bill and more and more our pt argue these balances because we "bill incorrectly" :rolleyes:

Is there a way to bill preventative services with an RD?

Thank you

The practice I work for also has a RD and I am getting denials from BCBS for her nutritional counseling for persons with diabetes. We always got paid before but just today I spoke to 2 reps who quoted the Health Care Reform Act and the change that nutritional counseling will now be paid only if they are part of a preventative service (as part of well care). Some plans will still cover DX based counseling but a prior call will be necs. The rep I just spoke with indicated this started as of Jan 2012. He indicated that all insurances will go this route. Did you receive any other information since your post?

no nothing new- there is cpt code 99401-99404 but I am still unure if a RD can bill for these. They will not go through on BCBS coding edits under RD NPI but will under Physicians. Under other policies an RD is listed as a qualifying provider. i have not had any other issues with other carriers aside from BCBS. Im not sure which way to go