• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • We're introducing new features and a new look to make the forums easier to use and more valuable to you. See what's new and let us know what you think!

Prior Authorization Question

sevolution

Contributor
Best answers
Can anyone tell me if there are written rules stating you only need to prior authorize the primary procedure code when doing multiple procedures? I understand you lead with the highest RVU valued code however, is it true or untrue you only need to list your primary procedure when submitting a prior authorization? Any expertise, resources, references, etc would be much appreciated.

Best answers
We list ALL the planned procedures

We list ALL the planned procedures in our Prior Auth request.

We have had situations where due to circumstances discovered intraoperatively an additional procedure has been performed and denied as not authorized.

Just had a denial yesterday ... but I have a written response from insurance with authorization number that lists BOTH procedure codes.

Better safe than sorry.

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC