• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • We’re introducing new features and a new look to make the forums easier to use and more valuable to you. See what's new and let us know what you think!

Procedure goes into the next day

monbel

Contributor
Best answers
My surgeon performed a procedure on 09/14/10 at 11:25 pm. The procedure ends at 2:25am on the 15th. My surgeon dictated the operative note with a date of service of 09/14/10. I told him that this was incorrect the correct date of service should be 09/15/10 as this is the date the procedure ended. He said that was untrue and that I would need to show him something in writing before he did an addendum to this operative report.
Does anyone have anything I can refer him to?

Treetoad

Expert
Best answers
I'm sorry that I have no reference for you. When this has happens for my providers, I enter the date of service as the date the procedure was scheduled and begun.

Lesainc

Networker
Best answers
I have run into this several times and never was able to find source on it either. People I spoke with on the phone from the insurance company didn't seemed concerned that the procedure continued into the next day.

I have many times billed with the start date, no mention of ending times, and never had a problem.