Wiki Prolia-LCD Policy Medical Necessity and Osteoporosis

Slbishop

New
Best answers
Hello all,
Would anyone be able to help clarify the LCD policy for Prolia (J0897) Injection for Osteoporosis? I was told we needed an additional diagnosis besides having Osteoporosis, usually the patient cannot take oral Bisphosphonates, which would fall under Group 3 and/or 4 which does require 2 diagnosis, Osteoporosis and the reason for using Prolia. However If the physicians's order just states M81.0 Osteoporosis, can we accept that diagnosis alone, under Group 2? Groups 2 states, Treatment of Osteoporosis at High Risk for Fracture? Any assistance in this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

I assume you are referencing the NGS LCA A52399 for Denosumab. That's what came up when I filtered for Connecticut anyway :) Based on what I'm reading, M81.0 only is perfectly acceptable for patients at high-risk. We regularly report only M81.0 without problem. You only need a secondary or tertiary diagnosis in certain circumstances.

Thank you! That's the way I was reading the policy. Yes it is-LCA-A52399. But I was told I need that 2nd DX, for any Prolia Patients.
Thanks again for your input.