Wiki Proper Verbiage for direct supervison of a Physician Assistant

micki127

Guru
Best answers
Hi,

Anyone have any suggestions on the correct verbiage to place in an office note when a supervising physician is overseeing a physician assistant ie; Patient seen under direct supervision by ________ ____________, MD? Also, what are the documentation guidelines for the office note. Is it a requirement that both the physician assistant and the supervising physician sign the note?

Thank you in advance for your suggestions!
Micki

Supervision requirements of physician's assistants are governed by state law. Most likely, if you go to your state's licensing board's web site, you can find a document or copy of the state law that outlines exactly to what extent a physician must be involved in supervising the PA's practice. I'm not aware of any states that specifically require a physician to sign a PA's office notes, and I'm also not aware of any general documentation regulation that requires this. If the PA is practicing within the scope of their license and is appropriately supervised, then they can document their own services and sign their own notes. If you are billing your PA's services as 'incident to', you may wish to have the physician attest to direct supervision to help protect you in the event of an audit, but I'm not aware that this is required.