Wiki Provider wants to use 99358 non f2f prolonged visit code on all of his 99304 visits.

gsakay

Best answers
Hello,

Recently, my provider wants to bill 32 minutes of 99358 (non F2F) on all of his 99304 initial visits because he said it takes time for him to review charts at night at home before scribing his charts. I have explained to him that what he does is covered by E/M as we give points to chart review under Amount and/or complexity of data reviewed and he can use a higher code as long as the documentation and medical necessity support it. I explained to him that he was only reviewing the notes for 32 minutes and to use the prolonged visit codes, 30 minutes is free + his 32 minutes, total 1 hour and 2 minutes of chart review in addition to his 99304, and his documentations do not support them. I know he wants to be reimbursed on a higher degree but him doing this would be a potential fraud.

My question is is non f2f review of medical charts included in the E/M and is he correct to bill prolonged visits for these? Thank you.