• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • We're introducing new features and a new look to make the forums easier to use and more valuable to you. See what's new and let us know what you think!

Repair of earlobe due to gauges

klbecker

Networker
Best answers
Hi I'm new to plastic surgery.

I am looking for help with a CPT code for repair of torn earlobe due to the patient having gauged earrings. I'm looking at CPT code 12051. I'm thinking they would be considered Intermediate repairs. Am I correct or is there another set of codes for the ear for this situation?

Thank you for your time and help
Kristy

Best answers
Coding for earlobe repair due to gauges

We almost always code with a complex closure, 1315X, depending on the gauge size. These are not simple earlobe repairs but like earlobe reconstructions. In addition, only in rare cases will insurance cover this type of procedure. Most of the time, the patient is paying cash prior to the procedure which includes postoperative care as well.